Monday, May 20, 2013

Review OtterBox Defender for iPad



When I first opened it, I was a bit confused as to how to get it apart so I could put it on my iPad. There are picture directions on the box (no written instructions), but they are vague so I had to work a bit get it taken apart. The silicone part is more firm (not as pliable or flexible) than the one for the original iPad and I think I prefer it. The hard case snaps together at a few points where the original one just slid together. It feels more steady and protective. I also like the built-in screen protector rather than relying on having a stick-on screen protector (those are a pain to put on and I always end up with a small speck of something stuck under the protector).

Once I got it all put together, I really like the feel of it; it's pretty solid. The cover for this case snaps on more securely than the original one did so I like that as well. The cover would pop off my original iPad way too easily.

Another thing I like on the new one is the cover for the dock connector. On the original one, there was a piece that would actually slide off (as in a completely separate piece that you then had to keep track of) that revealed enough of the back and bottom of the iPad so you could put it in a dock if you wanted to. I don't use an iPad dock, so wasn't of any use to me and just irritated me that I had to keep track of this extra piece. After using the case for a while, that piece didn't stay put nearly as securely as when it was new, so I had to be careful how I held my iPad while caring it so I didn't accidentally grab just that piece and have it slide out and drop my iPad on the ground.

The only complaint, and that's pushing it a bit, is that the silicone covering the home button is a bit stiff so pressing the home button, or double-clicking it, is a little bit tougher. By no means is it a deal breaker and I really think it will loosen up with a little bit of use (obviously I haven't used it much since I just got it a couple days ago).

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase (though I bought it from Best Buy, not Amazon) and would recommend this case t anybody that wants full protection (not water-proof) for their new iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment